Become a Health Care Volunteer
Become a Free Clinic Health Care Volunteer Today.
Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic is an extraordinary example of what can be accomplished when a group of talented volunteers work together. Thanks to our dedicated health care volunteers, we have provided free primary care to over 4,000 adults living at or below the 200% of poverty level on Johns, James and Wadmalaw Island.
The Free Clinic has numerous health care volunteer positions open, and we are always open to creating new positions to benefit the needs of our patients. Hours are flexible – and the intangible benefits are the best!
We are seeking the following positions:
- Volunteer SC Licensed Physicians– Medical skills and a desire to make a difference required.
- Volunteer SC Licensed Registered Nurses– Nursing skills and compassion required.
- Volunteer English/Spanish Interpreters– Conversational speakers will answer phones and enroll new patients. Fluency and knowledge of some medical terms are needed in the exam room to interpret for doctors and patients.
- Volunteer Office Staff– Tasks include answering phones, pulling and filing charts, faxing, copying and being responsive to patient needs. Must care about the needs of the uninsured.
- Non-Clinical Patient Navigators– to assist patients with non-clinical processes related to their medical care and to advocate for patients seeking community and government resources. Learn more: Volunteer Non-Clinical Patient Navigator
If you are a vendor who would like to donate your time or services to one of our annual fundraiser events, please contact us here.
Would you like to help support and promote BIFMC but don’t have the time commitment or resources? Learn more ways to help here.