Free Clinic Eligibility
Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic (BIFMC), a free clinic in Charleson, SC, is a non-profit 501(c) 3 organization that provides continuing primary health care to uninsured adults living at or below 200% of the Federal poverty level on Johns, Wadmalaw or James Island. To qualify for our free healthcare, you must:
- Live or work on Johns, James or Wadmalaw Island (inclusive of the following zip codes: 29455, 29487 and 29412)
- Have no health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or VA medical benefits
- Have household income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level (for example: Single adult’s gross monthly income cannot exceed $1,961).
Documents You Will Need to Provide Us
To establish yourself as a patient, you will need to provide The Free Clinic with the following information:
- Personal Identification – one of the following: driver’s license, ID, passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of Residency – one of the following: Photo ID with current address, lease, mortgage, utility bill in patient’s name.
- No medical insurance or eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or VA benefits. [How to Indicate NO HEALTH INSURANCE on Tax Filings]
Prepare for Your Visit
Before you schedule an appointment, you will need to complete the following forms (download below) and bring them to the free clinic:
- New Patient Instructions
- Medical History Form
- Consent for Treatment
- Patient Application
If we determine you are not eligible for our free healthcare services, we can direct you to other free patient care clinics throughout the Charleston area. For a national Volunteers In Medicine directory, click here.