Free Clinic Eligibility
Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic (BIFMC), a free clinic in Charleston, SC, is a non-profit 501(c) 3 organization that provides continuing primary health care to uninsured adults who live or work on Johns, James & Wadmalaw Island or Folly Beach. To determine income eligibility, an example would be a single person household with an annual income of $35,055 or less (the gross income level increases by $11,930 per each additional family member.) To qualify for our free healthcare, you must:
- Live or work on Johns, James & Wadmalaw Island or Folly Beach
- Have no health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or VA medical benefits
- Have household income at 299% of the Federal Poverty Level or less annually within a single person household (See Income Level By Household Size Guidelines) Are you Eligible? Take our Easy Quiz.
Documents You Will Need to Provide Us
To establish yourself as a patient, you will need to provide The Free Clinic with the following information:
- Personal Identification – one of the following: driver’s license, ID, passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of Residency or Employment on Johns, James & Wadmalaw Island or Folly Beach– one of the following will work: Photo ID with current address, lease, mortgage, utility bill in patient’s name, rent slip, school registration, voter registration, etc.
- No medical insurance or eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or VA benefits. [How to Indicate NO HEALTH INSURANCE on Tax Filings]
Prepare for Your Visit
Before you schedule an appointment, you will need to Download and Complete Our Patient Application and bring it with you to the free clinic:
- New Patient Instructions
- Medical History Form
- Consent for Treatment
- Patient Application
If we determine you are not eligible for our free healthcare services, we can direct you to other free patient care clinics throughout the Charleston area. For a national Volunteers In Medicine directory, click here.