- What is Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic?
We are a free clinic that provides primary medical care to eligible patients, just like any family practitioner or internist – but free of charge. We serve uninsured adults who live or work on Johns, Wadmalaw or James Island (inclusive of the following zip codes: 29455, 29487 and 29412) and make $24,280 or less annually within a single household. (The gross income level increases by $8,640 for each additional family member. See Income Guidelines By Household Size.) These numbers are in accordance with Federal Guidelines set each year.
- What will it cost me to receive patient services from the clinic ?
The Free Clinic is free to eligible patients. We are able to see and treat patients at no cost due to our volunteer medical staff and generous donations from individuals and organizations throughout the community.
- Who is eligible for care at Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic?
– Live or work on Johns, Wadmalaw and James Islands
– Have household income at or below $24,280 or less annually within a single household. (The gross income lever increases by $8,640 for each additional family member.)
– Do not have health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or VA medical benefits. Read more about eligibility here.
- What does 200% of the federal poverty level mean?
The United States Department of Health and Human Services establishes the federal poverty level. Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic serves adults who earn at or below 200% of this level, which translates for the year 2016 to the following:
Chart of Incomes at 200% of the Federal Poverty Level Size of Family Unit Annually 1 $24,280 2 $32,920 3 $41,560 4 $50,200 5 $58,840 6 $67,480 7 $76,120 8 $84,760
- How do I sign up to receive patient care?
Every patient goes through the same process for determining eligibility to receive services. Download forms here for a detailed overview of our new patient checklist as well as additional resources. This provides you with all the information you will need to apply for eligibility.
- Why do I have to provide so much information to be eligible for patient care?
We strive to make the eligibility process as easy as possible. We we want to make sure that uninsured residents and workers of Johns, Wadmalaw or James Islands are receiving our care. If we determine you are not eligible for services, we can direct you to the many other free patient care clinics throughout the Charleston area.
- What are the clinic’s hours of operation?
Monday 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm we offer our walk-in clinic hours; no appointment necessary.
Tuesday – Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm we offer our regularly scheduled clinic hours by appointment only.
- What free services will be provided by the clinic?
Doctors, nurses, translators, staff, diabetic meters and strips, lab tests, X-rays and screening mammograms are free. Some specialty referrals are free.
- Who operates the clinic?
The Free Clinic is a 501( c)(3) non-profit organization, operated by an Executive Medical Director and support staff. It is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
- How is the Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic financed?
The Free Clinic is supported by charitable contributions from individuals, community and religious organizations, fundraising events and grants from private foundations. The Free Clinic receives no state or federal money. We are staffed by volunteers who offer their time freely to care for patients.
- What types of volunteers are needed at the free clinic?
Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic relies on donated time from retired and active licensed physicians and nurses, as well as interpreters and office volunteers. Many additional volunteers are needed during special events such as our annual Celebrity Golf Tournament and Lowcountry Wine and Beer Festival. Marketing professionals, photographers and database experts are just some of the other volunteer skills we need. Volunteer roles include:
– Nurses and nurse practitioners
– Spanish/English interpreters
– Social workers and psychologists
– Administrative and operational support
– Fundraiser support