We are seeking a volunteer for the following position:
Volunteer Non-Clinical Patient Navigator
- Barrier Islands Free Medical Clinic (BIFMC) is a health care clinic and non-profit 501(c) (3) organization providing primary care to uninsured adults through the engagement of largely volunteer doctors and nurses
- BIFMC is seeking a volunteer patient navigator to assist patients with non-clinical processes related to their medical care and to advocate for patients seeking community and government resources. These non-clinical processes include assisting patients with filing clinic eligibility documents and offering direction in helping patients access additional benefit programs including Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security (SSDI and SSI), Veterans Administration and Affordable Health Care (ACA) options.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- An Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- 1-3 years experience in community health and welfare programs, or related experience in education or healthcare
- Knowledge of community resources within the geographic locale (Charleston, SC)
- Understanding of and strict adherence to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA 1996) tenets
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with diverse clinic staff, volunteers, patients and families;
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to function effectively as part of a team
- Computer literate including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite 10 and internet
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Because this is a volunteer position, we are asking that interested applicants be able to volunteer on a regular, weekly basis. This volunteer position will be supervised and assisted by BIFMC’s Office Manager and training will be provided for areas new, or unfamiliar to the volunteer.
If interested in this position, please apply online here.